Wednesday, July 21, 2010

There's No Place Like Home

As I sit and watch one of my favorite movies, "The Wiz", I'm reminded of how many days I have until I hit the road back to Maryland. TWO! With window AC's, mice, and hot subways, I realize how spoiled central air, a car and no rodents can make you.

Tuesday morning, I went to grab the iron board and a little mouse was chillin behind it. Scared the living heck out me. Last year I stayed at a friends house while she was out of town. The first night there I was sitting on her bed watching television while I was talking to a friend on the phone. I saw something run across the floor. I was like I know that ain't what I think it is. Then I saw that little sucker come out and dash across the floor into a closet. I got off the phone, packed my bags and rolled! I couldn't fathom staying in there with that thing. Suppose I wake up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom and it runs across my foot, or climbs up the bed and crawls across my mouth or something. No sir-ree. I was out of there.

This time it was different. Although I was hesitant to come back to the apartment, I decided to suck it up and face little Mickey. After coming to terms with the situation and arriving back to the building, I walk up to the 3rd floor, where my aunts apartment is and I see another little mouse run into her neighbors apartment. OMG! Thanks! Now I'm back to being a nervous wreck. I come in the apartment slow, turn on all the lights and look around. I don't really want to go looking because you know when you do, you always find. I'm just saying to myself, please stay in your little hole, where ever you've been chillin', and give me some piece of mind.

I called my aunt earlier that day to let her know I'd saw the mouse. I've been coming here for 3 and half years now, and have never seen a mouse. So I wanted to let her know in case she needed to call the Super. She explained to me that the people moved out of the apartment across the hall, so they've been doing work in there so whatever is up in there is scattering every where else. Don't get me wrong, I'm aware that mice and rats reside in NYC, but I'm used to seeing them in a subway station. And that's where they need to stay. I later found that there is something like 12 rats to one person in NYC. That's enough for me to think about looking into another profession. But let me let you know right now, had there been a rat up in here, I would have been out of here too!

Day 2, and I'm still a little uneasy, but hey I'm dealing with it. I'm going to stay at one of my girlfriends house tomorrow night so I'm sure my nerves will ease significantly. LOL. I'm in the living room and I keep looking out into the other sitting area as if something is going to run across the floor any minute now. Is it Thursday yet?

Don't get me wrong. I am so thankful that I am able to have a few options to lay my head when I'm in town and a little mouse should be the least of my concerns. I'm a work in progress. Yall just keep me in prayer. Last night, I took a deep breath, said a prayer and slept like a baby. When I woke up, that mouse was on my mind, but I did what I had to do and kept it moving.

Tomorrow I'll be hanging out with my girlfriend who turns 30 on Sunday. She's having a little celebration get together here in NYC and in DC on Sunday. We'll be celebrating a new era of her life and in addition, I'll be celebrating my voyage back HOME!!!! Count down!

DON'T WAIT UNTIL NEXT TIME ... COME GET THIS MOUSE OUTTA HEA! : (

No comments:

Post a Comment