Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Rain Dance

The rain never let up before I had to jet to the next audition. I put my jacket over my head and ran across the street to buy a $6 umbrella. I have some brown rubber Old Navy flip flops on which are better than having a good pair of shoes ruined in the rain. My feet get wet, but I also, avoid the likelihood of busting my butt on the ground.

I don't have my big suitcase, but I opted to bring a small rolly bag. It's made like a duffel bag but has wheels on it. I had 4, yes one came in last minute, auditions/castings today. So I needed to bring several clothing options to represent the products I was auditioning for. It would be impossible, dumb even to try to go back to Brooklyn to change clothes, so I had to bring everything I needed. In addition to my laptop and all I would usually carry in my purse, this bag was a one in all today. But the darn bag kept rolling off the wheels. That bag wore me out! It's not a suitcase, its a duffel bag on wheels. I don't think that concept really works though. :/

From the Starbucks I had to walk about a block and half to the R train. My bag got soaked. When I get inside the station I check the inside to make sure things are dry, and they are. Two stops down and I'm at my stop. Before I even get to the top of the stairs, I see its still pouring. I had to walk about 4 or 5 blocks to my casting. Great! The rain is coming down, my feet and legs are getting wet and my poor bag is getting soaked.

I have to stop and check my contents again to see if they are getting wet and they are. I have a dress wrapped in a plastic bag you get from the dry cleaners and decide to use it to wrap the duffel bag in. It was just the right size to cover the entire bag. I poke holes at the wheels and keep it moving. Finally, I make it there and get on the elevator. A tall blonde girl with an accent asks what floor the casting office is on. For some reason, she thinks its on the 3rd floor, but I assure here its on 10. She looks a little perplexed. She asks me if I'm a dancer. Nooo but if I had started early, I probably would have been one. Seriously. I tell her I'm a model and actress. For some reason actress stands out to her. "Ooooh you're an actress." Like I couldn't possibly be going on the same casting she's going on. Quickly and loud, I say "AND MODEL." Don't get it twisted missy because I'm not 8'12 like you. Hmmmh!

I get to 10 and decide to change into my bathing suit top in the hall and then finish up in the bathroom which is located inside the casting office. I like to be as prepared as possible before going in. You never know whats going on on the other side of that door.

I walk in, sign in and head straight to the restroom. There are about 5 girls already there waiting. We wind up waiting quite a while before we're seen. I strike up small talk with one young lady about the rain and her shoes being drenched. There are some really pretty girls there. More fashion type models. Sometimes when I get called to certain castings and there are more of that type there, I wonder why my agency even sent me. But I deserve to be there darn it! And my agency would not send me if they didn't think I had a good chance.

At this casting is when I get the call about another one lined up for me today. I decide to head there next as its on the East side and I'm already on that side of town. By this time, its evident that I'm going to miss my 2:40 appointment for the audition that was initially going to be my 3rd and final for the day. I send an email updating my agency and they tell me to just get there as soon as I can. I have until 430p.

The rain has let up by the time I leave. But as soon as I get to the corner, a light drizzle starts. I make it to the train station before it decides it wants to pour down again. Another 2 stops down, and I arrive at my stop. About 6 or 7 blocks in, the rain pouring again, the stupid bag flip flopping all over the place, my feet and legs, wet and dirty, sweating, and lord knows what my hair looks like, I arrive! The audition is in a small gallery. So I clean myself up a bit outside and change into some cute little heels. I go inside and wait my turn. Again, fashion models. I may not have the height, but I must certainly have the look. And that's obviously good enough.

On to the next. Back on the beaten path to the train and to my last audition for the day. At one point, I'm so exhausted and worn out, I have to (singing) "say a little prayer for meeeeee." I get a little turned around going back and wind up breaking the $8 necklace I bought yesterday. Are you frikin kidding me? Deep breath! I break one of the strands of beads and they are falling everywhere. I take the necklace off and throw it in my bag. I suck it up, realize I probably shouldn't have bought it in the first place and finish making my way to the train.

3 stops up and I'm headed to the my last adventure for the day. I sign in and again, I head straight to the bathroom. My shorts are wet and my cute little shirt has managed to grow two small holes in it so I decide to change into a little blue dress and a tan jacket. Plus, I wanted to look more put together.

I went into the audition about 20 minutes later, knocked it out, changed back into my shorts and flip flops and headed to the 2 train back to Brooklyn. By this time I was in the mood for a drink but I couldn't wait to get back to the house to just relax. On my way to the train, I get a call that I booked a casting I went on last week for Target. It's not the Target deal I want, but I gotta start somewhere. It's for some internal stuff. So my plan is to stand out at this shoot. It could lead to some major advertisement. And that's exactly what I'm gonna get.

I shared my experience today with a friend who's very successful in his modeling career. I told him about the Target deal and this is what he told me. He said "you put little thought into Target and you got a small token of what you put in." Say whaaaaat? I love it! As he put it, "you have to visualize your sh**!" I do have a vision board but the vision certainly can't stay there. Thanks Super Dre!

Until next time ... Don't just GO GET IT ... Visualize yo' sh**! ; )

No comments:

Post a Comment