Thursday, July 15, 2010

Embracing Opportunities

As much as I tried to keep my mental on track and focused, my flesh kept getting the best of me. My thinking cap was on snooze and my flesh was on it's own on time. I was late to every audition from Tuesday to today (Thursday). Even though it didn't much matter because they were all running behind schedule, I still like to be on time. Sometimes you have a time range and sometimes you have an actual appointment time. And for some reason this week, it was all about having an appointment.

Every morning I called myself being proactive with my business by doing productive things on the computer but the mornings would go a little something like this...email, text message, bbm, facebook, tv back to email and so on and so forth. I guess you can say I was multi-tasking. I learned in a business class last week, that multi-tasking is a lie. And whoever realized it first, ain't ever lied.

Maybe Tuesday's rain dance threw my equilibrium off because I just couldn't seem to focus on one particular goal at a time. On the train on my way to my only audition today I realized I was really gonna have to dig down deep, do some praying, self-reflecting and meditation to be able to hone in on some self-control.

I have been doing good about accomplishing the goals I've set, in the time-frame I've wanted to accomplish them, but they may not be at their fullest potential. I would love a do-over, take back some of the things I've done and said, managed my time a little better and been more focused. But of course, I can't do-over whats already been done. I can only pick up the pieces, deal with the rest of what the week will hand over and pray for a better turn out moving forward.

Wednesday after attending a callback for Tylenol that I found out I booked... YAY! I met up with a few friends at a charity event. It was at the Charles Nolan store in Chelsea. Really cute boutique that had a little bit of everything. Clothes, jewelry, shoes, handbags, vintage pieces, picture frames and a station set up with paints, brushes, stencils and glitter. Odd huh?

The event was being held to raise money for a children's organization called GOAL (Giving Open Access to Learning). The arts and crafts station had been set up earlier for a few kids to make some bags and masks to display in the store. Obviously, the organizers thought it would be a good idea to leave this station accessible to guests who were wanting to explore their creative side or bring bag childhood memories. *giggle* My friends and I grabbed a glass of wine and quickly took a place at the table.

Me and my friend BJ decided to do bags and Nia a wooden box she could put little trinkets in. BJ's bag turned out to be a tribute to her mom Tia that passed away from cancer and mine to my love of shoes and model persona. It was the best fun! I've done some coloring in the last few years but I haven't painted since grade school when we dipped our hands in paint and plastered them on a big white sheet of paper. LOL. I think everybody took that same masterpiece home to their parents.

It really brought out a side of me I hadn't embraced in a long time. I mean I act silly and childish with my nieces and nephews but its for their entertainment. But to be doing an activity like that outside of the children and for my own pleasure was fun and felt really normal. It definitely overshadowed the craziness from day before.

I did manage to do a little networking. Turning an interaction to an opportunity. Just what they taught in the class I took tonight. It opened up an opportunity for me to connect to others and bring in potential clients to my "other" business which is consulting. The class really helped bring out my lack of motivation to get this business rolling. The opportunities are there, I just need to take them. Being prepared is everything and a business card will go a long way. So glad I had plenty available to pass out. Vistaprint.com people!

I'm almost there. I just have to be consistent and constant. Stay on track and surround myself with opportunities even if that means painting my name on a bag. Who knows, the connection I made there may lead to my name on something else. We'll see.

I feel good!

Until Next Time ... Go Get Focused, Create Opportunities and Make it Happen!

1 comment: