Thursday, July 8, 2010

Business NOT as Usual

Out of all the castings and auditions I've attended in my 3 years and 4 months as a career model and commercial actress, this was one of my most productive days. But it all started with taking a free seminar on Tuesday about resumes to a six hour class about, in a nutshell, being about my business.

I've had a big birdie in my ear for a while about focusing on "the business" side of my business. Not about just being an actress or a model but how to parlay those skills into a brand. He was right! Today, the gates opened to my soul and responded with a mission to accomplish. After class, I headed to the book store to check out some references, take notes, purchased the book "Think and Grow Rich by Napoleon Hill and a nice pink notebook that will hold the secrets to my success. Well at least my notes. : )

I get back to my girlfriends house in Jersey, settle in and organize my suitcase because I'm heading back home to MD tomorrow. I prepare to re-write all my notes from class, go over the exercises and start putting a plan in motion ... but it's missing. Somewhere along the way, between class, Starbucks, the bookstore and the bus ride home, I've lost all the information I gained today. WTH? Like really? What does this obstacle present for me? Nothing if I don't let it. Maybe its a blessing in disguise.

I decide to send a Facebook email to Lisa, who taught the class to see if anyone has turned in my valuable information. But in the meantime, I decide that I will just have to start from scratch. The ideas are still fresh. Does my mission statement have to read exactly how I wrote it in class? NOPE! Maybe it'll come out better than the first. Nonetheless, I can't waste time on the where and the how. I just DO IT and move on with my action plan. I've got goals that I WILL accomplish and I won't let losing those papers hinder my mission.

From this day forth, it is truly about my business. No time for procrastination, wishing instead of willing or neglecting to take action because I lost notes from class. A lot of the information really stuck with me. The beauty is I can start over and no one will know the difference.

I feel really good about where my actions will take my career. Better actions, better decisions, better outcome. Lisa Gold (plug ;) ) taught the class today, and I must say, that that class was a of pot gold at the end of my rainbow. The sun is truly shining on me and my career will follow suit. I can't wait to see the fruits of my labor ... or simply me putting my plan into action!

Until Next Time ... GO GET A PLAN AND PUT INTO ACTION!

1 comment:

  1. Who's this big business birdie? Can they whisper something in my ear? Hardy har har ;-)

    ReplyDelete