Monday, April 12, 2010

APRIL SHOWERS

So, I started a blog last summer in the event to utilize my time better. Well lets just say, time got the best of me and the blog, well...suffered lack. So here I am ... again. A new blog and a new attitude. Some or most of you reading this know my story. So for those who may come across this blog and don't, let me just give you the nutshell.


I quit my 9 to 5 three years ago to pursue a career in modeling and acting. Basically, I do commercial print and tv ads. YUP, quit (what some feel is) security of receiving a paycheck every two weeks, to trek to NY every week , (which by the way I didn't realize I would be doing and this long) to attend castings and auditions. Giving it a go. So here are some FAQ's to get you up to speed.

Pay day? No specifics just anywhere between 30 to 90 days after a job has been completed ... and sometimes longer. Imagine that when you have a mortgage, school loans and a host of other bills to pay. But that's just how it goes. Ya gotta crawl before you go walking around like a supa star. Which is not what I'm attaining to be. I just want to be successful doing what I love. Don't we all want that? But you have to plan plan plan. And sometimes the realization of a plan doesn't hit you until after you've suffered a few blows ... ok maybe more than a few.


So why haven't I moved? Well let's just say, it's not in GOD's plan for me at this time. Yes, I know its been 3 years, but hey, you can't rush GOD. So I've made peace with the fact that I've had to travel back and forth. But I love going home.


Where do I stay? Well by the grace of GOD I've been blessed to have friends who love and support me. So I just crash with one of them for the week. I try to rotate so I'm not in the way at one friends every time I go. I tell you, I have no idea how I would have done it. But that tells you how good GOD is. But it's not so easy to ask so often if I can crash. Although, they don't say no, it can wear on you having to ask. All in all, I just don't want to be a bother to anyone. I just want to have a place to lay my head while I'm working it.


Travel? Well I go the cheapest way...the BUS. There are so many reasonable bus lines that go to NY that the options are pretty limitless. Why not the train? ITS EXPENSIVE AS H E double hockey sticks!!! One way can go for about $125 or more. The bus can be anywhere from $1 to $25 ...and that's one way. So you can't beat that for the 4 hour ride I have to take. I drive when I have or need to. But imagine if I drove every week. Gas plus tolls. Let's not even do the figures. The bus is the BEST bet.

How do I do it? Passion and Determination. It's just like any other job a person has to travel for. I love what I do and the journey has really help me grow in so many areas of my life. I encourage any of you with a dream or passion, to JUST DO IT. Don't go through life wondering what could have been if you had only tried. Don't put limitations on what you can do because you're older, you have kids or money is tight. You can start small or locally and build your brand from there. It will take time because nothing happens over night. But with perseverance. It will happen. TRUST.


The journey? Well its not all roses. I've felt like giving up on many occasions. Cried. Got mad. Jealous even. But all those emotions won't change your journey or your outcome. You're dealt the good with the bad and that's where growth comes in. This experience has changed my outlook and attitude toward many challenges I still continue to face. Without it, I may be the same ole Mo....comfortable, unchallenged and unchanged.

Today? Well, I'm headed up and I have two castings lined up for tomorrow. Ready to go in and SHINE! And if it's meant to be ... it will be mine!

Last month was really slow for me...as I had a lot of castings and didn't book one job. That's how the industry goes though. You can be on fire one month and the next, your fire has fizzled. But its short lived. So in the meantime, I try to keep myself busy with classes, seminars, shoots ... anything that can help further my career.


What you'll learn in this industry, is that not booking a job, doesn't always depend on your talent. If you are not what the client is looking for, most likely you won't get the job.That's just the reality. It doesn't take away from what you have to offer when the client is looking for YOU.

Stay motivated! And wish me luck!


So glad GOD rained on my pity parade...I'm so excited about April bringing a shower of opportunities.


In the time I started this, we've arrived to NYC and I have to get my things together to get off the bus, grab my luggage and get on the 2 to Brooklyn!


Until next time ... GO GET IT!

3 comments:

  1. Im a follower now, signed me up :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Mo! I commend you for sharing your thoughts with the world! With every word you write, you are getting stronger and bring that which you desire closer to you! I wish you well in your journey and I know that all you desire will be fulfilled! Peace & Blessings

    Your old friend,

    Marcellus

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks for posting this- I needed this today! stay blessed beautiful!

    ReplyDelete