Wednesday, April 14, 2010

All is not Lost/Caught Up/Creating African Royalty

ALL IS NOT LOST
So last night I was attempting to write about what my day was like yesterday. I had everything typed out and then ... my computer died on me. I had to plug in the adapter and when the computer re-booted, I lost all but the second segment of the blog. I was just a little disappointed but I just didn't let it ruin me. But it was late and I wasn't re-typing all that verbiage.

CAUGHT UP ON TUESDAY
So yesterday was a cool cloudy day in NYC. It was just 92 degrees last week. Of course, when I come up I either pack too light (imagine that), or too much. So despite the various options I did bring, it just wasn't the right variations for the weather we had. My hands were freezing the entire day.

I got up about 6am. Tired! I didn't sleep well through the night. My mind had been racing. I'm not sure about what but I know Monday morning I awoke with inspiration. A new attitude. I guess that excitement stayed with me so getting up Tuesday morning was rough.

Auditions started at 9am and I wanted to get there at 9 or close to it. That's just how I am with all my auditions. I try to get there when they start. The audition was quick. I ran into an old friend there. I hadn't seen him in a while. So it was good to catch up with him.

After I left the casting studio, I had some time to kill before my next audition and a drop-in to see one of my agencies, so I went to Starbucks on 39th and 8th to do some things on the computer. Even though the clouds persisted, I was really hoping that when I was ready to bounce, the rain would stay away. Wishful thinking .. because after I left Starbucks, got the W to head to my agency, it started to sprinkle when I exited the train station.

NO UMBRELLA! There were plenty of stores in the area but not a vendor in site to pick up a $3 umbrella. See I wasn't trying to spend a lot of money on an umbrella because I had one back at the crib that I looked me right in the eyes and said "take me". I ignored it and now I'm running around, wasting time looking for an "umbrella ella eh eh!"

I head to H&M because they always have those little frilly Gone With the Wind umbrellas with the polka dots near the register. Well of course they had none. : / So I opt for a purple scarf. Like did I really think this would do the job. As soon as I hit the sidewalk I could feel the rain coming through the scarf. I was looking dumb! I spot a beauty supply that has a collection of rain boots in the window. Surely if they rain boots, they got 'brellas.

I find the umbrellas and they want 4 figures for one. $16.99? ... ummm that's a negative. The cheapest one I see is for $8.99. I don't want to pay that either. But I can't go to my next audition looking jacked up. So I buy it!

Here's the kicker! The rain lasted all of 20 minutes or so. I have $16 worth of merchandise, the scarf was $7, that I don't even need now. So what's a girl on a budget to do? R E T U R N N N N. Receipts? CHECK! Tags Attached? CHECK! "Somebody bring me back some money please"

Anywho, after the agency visit and my last audition, I go hook up with two of my girls, who are also on thier grind. We are back at Starbucks, laptops, coffee and lots of convo. We pretty much set up office in Starbucks. "My business hours are from...." lol. Remember that from the Five Heartbeats?!

Quitting time rolls around and one of us is off to teach an ab class uptown and the other 2 of us is off to meet a few friends for appetizers and cocktails. Guess which one I did? Ahhh the one where food is involved.

Caught up in the hustle and bustle of the day, I've totally forgotten how tired I am. I get back to BK, that's Brooklyn for those who don't know the lingo, a little after 10p. I work on the blog and finally around 1am, for the second night in a row, I'm off to bed. Which by the way I am tripping because I have to get up early again ... 630am. I have to be in Harlem for my shoot. But I do it and here we are now ... WEDNESDAY ...

CREATING AFRICAN ROYALTY
I get to Harlem at the studio about 15 til 9. I'm a little early and I find that the photographer has stepped out. He ran out to get us coffee and sweet treats.

After getting settled in, we start the process. My theme is ivory and white. The photographer is also the stylist and make-up artist. He is extremely talented. When and if you ever get to see the pages of this book, the work that he put into making the pieces is unbelievable. Everything is hand-made ... even the back drops and flooring. His vision and creativity are truly amazing.

After make-up and styling are done, its time to shoot. This is pretty typical for any shoot though. The photographer wanted very high fashion poses but because my background is commercial, it took me a while to get in that element. But with his direction, the images came out really beautiful.

ITS A WRAP
After a long day of shooting, all I wanted to do is go home and go to sleep. But I signed up for a class, so it was off to meet my girl, who was also taking the class, at the Starbucks, yet again. Killing time til class.

After class, I head back to BK. I AM EXHAUSTED. But THANKFUL. I have no auditions, castings, classes or Starbucks meetings tomorrow. I am gonna just chill. Well not totally. It will be an admin day. This usually means, I'm catching up on emails, doing research, sending out packets ... whatever I can do to stay current and on top of my game.

So until next time ... GO GET IT!

No comments:

Post a Comment