Friday, August 20, 2010

Oppotunity VS. Opportunity

Thursday was quite a busy day of auditioning for me. I had four that quickly turned into three. One audition that I was really excited about going on was Kohl's. Along with Target, Kohl's is a client I would love to add to my resume. There was one problem though ... in the notes it stated conflicts: RETAIL! I just shot for Burlington last month so excitement deferred.

Because I have so many agencies in NY, its really up to me to let them know what I'm booking. But they represent so much talent, I'm sure it'd be somewhat a pain trying to remember everything one model booked. But I have to keep on top of those things so that a red flag can immediately pop up when casting states a conflict. If a client sees you in a competitors ad or commercial it could be bad news. The talent could get sued.

I quickly responded to my agent to let them know I just shot for Burlington but was I still able to go to this casting. I mean it states very clearly that I can't have any other retail ads running, but hey, I always try my hand. My agent responded that she'd have to check with the client because that might be an issue and she'll get back to me. Well she never did. So I went!

I headed to the Kohl's casting after a callback audition on Park Avenue for Off Broadway shoes. Kohl's was on Madison so it was a quick 2 minute walk. I sign in, sit down and finish chatting with a friend. We both just left the callback audition and walked down to Madison together. The casting director comes out. He sees a familiar face, another model. She is Julissa. She used to host 106 and park. They chat it up for a second, he scans the room and then the sign in sheet. He acknowledges my friend, looks back at the sign in sheet, and then back at me.

"Monique, I thought you couldn't make it. They said you were unavailable." I explain that my agency never got back to me so I just came. "Yeah but didn't you do Burlington, that's going to be a conflict. I'm sorry did you wait long?" Not at all. Hey, at least he got to see my face. Potential + Effort = Opportunity.

Later in the day I get a call from one of my agencies about a client wanting to book me for an Evenflo job. They make baby carriers, car seats, high chairs ... you get the picture ...baby stuff. NOTE: I'm going to call the two agency's in the next several paragraphs agency 1 and agency 2 so its easier to follow along.

The job is a direct booking ... no audition and it pays a decent amount. It shoots this Tuesday. There's one problem, eventhough I don't know if I booked Off Broadway Shoes, I'm already holding the dates for the shoot which include travel dates. It shoots in Charlotte, North Carolina on Wednesday, but I fly out on Tuesday. So I let agency 2 know what's going on and see what I can do about finding out any information about the OB's interest and travel times, eventhough I just left the callback like 2 hours ago.

I email agency 1 to let them know about this other possible booking and ask if she can find out anything about OB. She immediately responds back that she received word after I left the audition that I am a top choice for the job. She wants me to try to find out times for the other shoot before she calls casting so she'll have some leverage. So I call agency 2 back and ask them to get more info on the Evenflo shoot. I'm thinking hey, if I book this shoot, maybe OB could fly me out afterwards. Keep in mind, I'm not confirmed for either shoot, but I'm on it like a hornet, trying to make both of these things happen. (But is it really in my hands?)

After an hour or so, agency 2 found out that Evenflo would shoot me first around 830am and I would probably be done by 11am so I could be finished early enough to fly out. Even the people at Evenflo are trying to work with me. I'm like sweet! This may actually work out.

After a tango of calls, things were suddenly at a standstill. Which was a good sign, because I didn't have to confirm anything with either client just yet. I was still being considered for both jobs, which was great. I really wanted things to work out where I could do both. Friday rolls around and I don't hear anything til about 5p from agency 2. Evenflo wants to confirm the booking. I still have no info on the OB shoot. I call agency 1, and she's right on it. She wants me to be able to do both and doesn't want me to lose out on a confirmed booking if OB decides not to go with me.

I'm calm. I realize that things are gonna turn out how they will. Agency 1 gets back to me ... no news to tell me and she feels so bad. I in turn call agency 2, let them know that hey agency 1 still has no info, but I still have to keep the hold because OB has first option. Which is kind of bull. I mean one client should not be able to hold you hostage like that. Usually when something like this happens, they need to confirm or release the talent. But I'm telling you they will call you at the last minute of the last second to tell you that you did or didn't book the job. It's a little crazy. Clients go through so many channels to pick talent for ads and spots. Everyone has to be on the same page.

Both agencies were so cool and understanding about things. I mean they both wanted this to work out in my favor. Shoot, I'm sure in their favor also. They get paid too. Finally casting calls me about 6p to let me know I booked OB. She doesn't have any details on travel but is aware of the situation I'm in. She lets me know that the client will call me with travel details. I get a call about 7p from the stylist and then the call I've been waiting for from production, about my travel arrangements. She lets me know that I'll be leaving in the morning ... early morning. So that means I cannot do the Evenflo shoot. : ( It's a wrap! I'm a little bummed, but hey I can't be mad that two clients wanted to book me.

I had to call agency 2 and give them the bad news. But I am excited about travelling to NC for the OB shoot. My dad lives 35 minutes outside of Charlotte, so he's going to come pick me up so we can hang out. That more than makes up for the shoot I won't be able to do.

I may not have been able to audition for Kohl's and I may not have been able to accept the Evenflo job ... but rest assure, they'll be a next time. It just feels good that all were interested in M.E.. That's a good sign that this career is going in the right direction and although I'll miss some opportunities, they'll be many more to come.

So Until Next Time ... Fight for your Opportunities! GO GET IT!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment