Saturday, August 14, 2010

Harlem Renaissance

Last week I stayed in my new NYC home! It felt so good! But it feels even better to know that there is no question of where I'll stay from week to week. I locked in a deal with a long time friend and her cousin. We have a brand new 2 bedroom apartment in Harlem. I love it! It's so much closer to the city, it has a gym downstairs and most importantly I can call it home.

My friend travels back and forth like I do for her job. Her cousin attended and graduated from NYU and was already living there so they decided to get a place together. My girlfriend was tired of booking hotels and lugging bags in and out of town. Sound familiar? Initially, we were looking for a 3 bedroom, but with my mortgage payout in Maryland, it was going to still be too much for me to pay a third of anybody's rent.

After letting them both know that I wouldn't be able to afford it, they opted to continue their search, but for a 2 bedroom. In the meantime, I reached out to another friend that I could possibly stay with in Jersey, who has an extra bedroom, and looked into other options. After about a month had passed, I got a text from my girlfriend stating that she and her cousin got a place and that we could probably work out something. I was thrilled and jumped on the opportunity.

So when my girlfriend isn't in town, she's opened her room to me and when she's there, I sleep on a queen size air mattress furnished by her cousin. That thing is huge and even has a head board. LOL. I must admit, it's quite comfortable. So I was in town for only 3 days last week, but so good so far.

Who would have thought, I'd end up in good ole Harlem. I've run into quite a few people who don't like Harlem. But that's OK, so far its been nothing but good to me. I am so BLESSED. I pray for the best and to HIM I leave the rest. Let's see where this new course in life takes me.

I'm very thankful for my friend and her cousin, who were so kind to open their hearts to share their new space with me. I'm thankful for those who were so kind to open up their homes to me even if they didn't have a lot of space to share. The fact that you opened up your hearts to do so, speaks volumes about the kind of person you are. But just because I have a steady spot doesn't mean I won't still crash at a homie's spot. LOL. You know who you are missy! Gotta visit the BLVD from time to time. : )

Ahhhhh. A sigh of relief. I'm back to NYC tomorrow and it feels good to know exactly where I'm staying. I even have a closet yall! Oh and a doggie too. I wasn't really feeling the idea of a dog, but beggars can't be choosers. I've adjusted. Its just a little one, and I think she loves me.

Well gotta go! Gotta early morning. I shoot for Carmax in the a.m.!

Until Next Time ... Go GET IT!

1 comment:

  1. Dag, you mean I didn't get rid of you...Geesh! Just kidding, don't forget who supplied you with the original air mattress... Hee hee hee ;-) Congrats and best wishes in Harlem.

    ReplyDelete