Friday, August 20, 2010

Making Peace With Death

I guess we all, at some point in our lives, all REALLY think about death. Whether its after we've just lost a loved one or friend, just saw something on the news or looking in the mirror one day, and realizing that time is ticking, you're getting older and at some point you won't be around. That's a harsh reality for me.

When I was in the 5th grade, I remember having a slumber party. I don't know how the subject of death came up but I remember crying hysterically because "I didn't wanna die." Death scared the heck out of me.

In the last month or so, death has been heavy on my mind. Possibly because I lost my grandfather in January, maybe because my parents are getting older or that I'm closer to 40. Now I know 40 isn't a death sentence but I remember my 25th birthday. Time has flown by with no consideration of how its action may affect me ... who is not in a race to the finish line.

About two weeks ago, I woke up having an anxiety attack. I was barely sleep because I had it on my mind. I was freaking the heck out. I had to take some deep breaths and drink some water. Prayer and meditation helps. I ask GOD to help me deal. It it inevitable. Its going to happen to us all. I'm not alone in this game of life. It's the one destiny we all have in common.

I realize I can't afford to miss out on life going crazy about dying. So I try to take each day to maximize my opportunities ... embracing this beautiful, crazy, roller-coaster, love-filled, not knowing what to expect or whats going to happen next existence. I'm reading more, taking part in cultural experiences and working on spending more time with my family. In other words, making the most of my life so that thinking about death does not become a habit. When your life lacks purpose, so many negative thoughts can enter your mind and lead you to a place of doubt, fear and hopelessness. Who wants to live like that?

"Every man is what he is because of the dominating thoughts which he permits to occupy his mind."

Until Next Time ... Find your purpose and LIVE.

1 comment:

  1. An excerpt from "Purpose Driven Life" about Death and Eternity and fulfilling your purpose on Earth so you can be rewarded in the after life. "...you may feel its morbid to think about Death, but actually it's unhealthy to live in denial of death and not consider what is inevitable...you need to think more about Eternity, not less." Hope you find your Peace.

    ReplyDelete