Monday, August 29, 2011

A Dream Not Deferred

This past weekend I had the honor of interviewing some pretty spectacular people.  Celebrities, politicians and civil rights icons.  Everyone came out in celebration of the official unveiling of the Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. memorial site in Washington, DC.  I wasn't able to get by to see the memorial because of all the ruckus Hurricane Irene caused, but she had not yet hit the scene on Friday. So I was able to experience one of the best moments of my life.

Before attending the event, I did a lot of research.  The information I gained was really a GOD-send as I had forgotten about those who laid the foundation for me ... for us.  As most of us are aware, years ago black people weren't able to do a lot of things. We couldn't eat at lunch counters, we had to enter through back doors and even drink from a separate fountain.  Can you imagine if we still couldn't do those things in addition to the things we hope and dream for.

So many people fought, marched, and were killed so that we could have equal opportunities. It took an enormous amount of bravery and faith to be a voice for an entire race, to make justice and equality a reality for us.  Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.'s legacy will forever be remembered for years to come.

We don't live in a perfect world, but he fought many societal imperfections that would have otherwise kept us uneducated, poor and inferior had he not done so.  He wasn't just a beacon to black people but for all people and thats why now there is a memorial in his honor.  An african-american man, who wasn't a president or veteran,  but a man who fought effortlessly so that we could stand together as one equal nation under GOD.

I thank Dr. King and all those before me, who have helped shape and mold a path for us to be able to have opportunites, dreams and aspirations.  I will be making every effort to remember and acknowledge everything he and others have done in everything I do.

Until Next Time ... Remember those who fought tirelessly, even died, so that you may Have A Dream.

1 comment:

  1. Very beautiful post, and thank you for stepping out and fulfilling your dreams. You are an inspiration to me,that reminds to continually stay God focused and to never quit.

    ReplyDelete