Wednesday, May 11, 2011

The COLOR of God's Hand

My journey in the last 4 years has been a lot of things. ...  but most of its been surprising ... in a lot of good ways.  You guys have read about challenges, hardship, happiness, pain, loss, confusion, relief ... I could go on and on but all have shaped this road I'm traveling.

Last year I learned about an organization that recognizes the achievements of diverse advertising industry leaders. ADCOLOR. Google it! After hearing and seeing what this initiative contributes to an industry that I audition and cast for, I was on board.

After talking over ideas with one of my friends who introduced me to ADCOLOR, I decided I wanted to be a part of a committee.  But most of the people involved in this organization are the agencies, advertisers and creative teams behind the brands.  So initially I thought, my strong point would be to bring the "talent" side to the initiative more specifically, interviewing the people responsible for opening the doors for this kind of marketing, who create the ads and ultimately keep me auditioning.  It didn't quite work out that way but I was still able to volunteer my services and I was super happy about that.  It was one of the greatest experiences in my life.

Attending the awards show and conference in Miami last year opened up so many opportunities for me to network and make some really great connections.  I've kept in contact with those connections and have worked hard to build and maintain those relationships so that I can be considered for projects. All that work and initiative on my part really set something up for me that proved, yet again, GOD's hand in my life.

Yesterday I attended one of several ADCOLOR meetings we'll have leading up to the show and conference. In a nutshell, we discussed nominations, sponsors, possibilities, the flow, etc. The entire time, I'm thinking OK, how can I step up my contribution to this year's event?  I definitely still want to represent the "talent" side because after all, that is my strong point. 


Everyone has said something or made a contribution and I'm still "thinking" ... about what to say??? Just say it!!!!  The meeting is wrapping up and instead of voicing anything, I decide well I'll take two of the leaders aside and express a few things and see where it leads.  As Tiffany, the Founder of this awesome organization wraps and finalizes the meeting, she talks about some special person deserving of this title, that contributes to the industry and so on.  Then my picture pops up on the screen. MEEEEEEE??! WTH? UNBELIEVABLE!!!  I was named MS. ADCOLOR 2011.  I ... almost ... fell ... out ... my ... chair. Instead I did more of a meltdown in the chair, hence almost sliding out of it. LOL.


My mouth was to the floor and of course for those of you who know me well, the tears started flowing. I could not believe that ADCOLOR was recognizing ME. I guess I do contribute after all. ; ) I represent the finished project for those wonderful ads being aired, hung, posted and distributed ... around the country. And they represent my culture, my people ... ME.

I am so excited about heading to L.A.  for this year's event.  What in the world am I going to wear?  

UNTIL NEXT TIME ... HE may not come when you want HIM, BUT HE IS ALWAYS ON TIME. *pageant wave*





No comments:

Post a Comment