Tuesday, March 13, 2012

The Measure of Success

I had every intention on posting about my anniversary on my anniversary ... my 5 year anniversary in the business that is! March 9th marked 5 years from the time I left my 9 to 5 to pursue my life as a full time model and commercial actress.  I think I expressed in a previous post that I when I quit, Im really not sure I grasped exactly what I was going to be doing or even how long I was planning on doing it.

I always did some type of modeling but I don't think I ever expected I'd be doing commercials and hosting. I mean hosting wasn't too far fetched because of my degree in journalism, but it didn't really enter my thought process as a career goal. *shrugs*  Probably because I wasn't  FOCUSED.   My major was theater when I first started college and doing theater is the furthest thing from my mind now.  Im not too far removed from doing television and film, but its certainly not what Im seeking to do. Im just not passionate about it.  But I am open to challenging myself and auditioning for a role that comes across my plate that moves me.

I must say, I have done quite well in 5 years.  I cannot complain.  I've done tons of commercials and print ads and am becoming quite recognizable and respected in the industry. I always tell people Im not in this business to become a household name or famous.  I just want to experience the joy of doing what I love and making a living out of doing it.

I've had conversations with friends, family members or just acquaintances who know what I do, have seen some of my work and are excited about it all.  But they haven't seen the blood, sweat and tears.  They haven't seen every thing I've done or realize what it takes to be in this business.  They say, 'you're time is coming," "success is knocking at your door," "one day it's going to happen".  I have to laugh because all of what they are saying is here... RIGHT NOW!  My time is here.  Success has knocked and we are toasting to it, "IT" has happened, is happening and is continuing to happen ... by the Grace of GOD!

Often times people measure success by what others have accomplished.  Everyone's goal is not the same.  Everyone's journey isn't the same.  And everyone's mentality sho' aint the same. LOL.  I will never be a Halle Berry, a Kristen Wiig, or  Tyra or even the Progressive Insurance lady ... but I will always be the best Monique in whatever is Im doing.

Sure, Success is continuous but for me, its not measured by what others are doing but what I hope for,  for my own career and the things I want to attain.  And maybe that's just being a really good, hard working, consistently working commercial actress, model, host with maybe a few more things up my sleeve.  We'll see... ; )

Until next time ... "Don't aim for success if you want it; just do what you love and believe in it, and it will come naturally."



No comments:

Post a Comment